Common Mistakes During Hajj:
In Aqeedah (the Muslim’s Belief)
- Many pilgrims when they travel to Madinah they pray to the graves. They make du’a to Rasul Allah (Sal Allahu alayhi wa Sallam). This could not only ruin their Hajj, it could nullify their Islam.
- Do not rub graves for barakah.
- Do not make du’a to anyone except Allah ta’aala.
- When going to Madinah, your initial intention should be to visit Masjid An-Nabawee, the Prophet’s Masjid.
- If you are landing in Jeddah, you need your Ihraam towels with you on the airplane in your carry-on bag.
- Women may wear anything Islamically permissible for Ihraam.
- Women on their menses must be in a state of Ihraam when they pass the Meeqat. They should shower and do talbiyah like everyone else.
- Do not uncover your right shoulder until you reach the Ka’bah and begin Tawaf. This is the time that the Messenger uncovered his shoulder and it is an act of Hajj, so we must follow the sunnah of the Prophet.
- You may change your Ihraam towels if they get dirty.
- You do not enter into Ihraam by just wearing the towels. You must make the intention to begin.
- Do not shave your beard before, during or after Ihraam.
- When beginning your Ihraam for Hajj, do it from where you are: in your hotel, on the street, etc. You do not have to go to the Ka’bah to start your Ihraam for Hajj.
- Pay attention to what you are saying when you are making the Talbiyah: Labayk Allahumma Labbayk
- During Ihraam, men are not allowed to wear stitched clothing such as T-shirts, pants, or undergarments.
- Pilgriams may shower with unscented soap and comb their hair. The Prophet’s wives used to do so when they were in Ihraam.
- You do not have to say your intention out loud to begin Tawaf. Saying intentions out loud is something the Prophet (Sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) never did except after Ihraam when he said, “Labbayk Allahuma Umrah wa Hajj.”
- You do not have to touch the black stone for your Tawaf to be accepted. If it is crowded, you may point your hand toward the stone and say Allahu Akbar.
- Do not kiss the Yemeni corner. You may only touch it.
- Do not worship the black stone. You are glorifying Allah by coming to this house and worshiping Him, following the sunnah of Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam).
- Read Quran and make du’a from your heart and glorify Allah. You do not have to follow any specific du’a book.
- Make du’a by yourself, do not do it in a shouting group around the ka’bah.
- Do not wipe the walls of the ka’bah during Tawaf. Rasul Allah did not touch anything other than the black stone and the Yemeni corner.
- Do not hurt anyone to kiss the black stone.
- Do not point your hand to the Yemeni corner and say Allahu Akbar. This is only for the black stone.
- Do not push or hurt anyone during Tawaf.
- The Ka’bah should be to your left. Do not do Tawaf with your back to the ka’bah.
- Do not stand at the black stone line for a long time. Move on.
- Do not lengthen your two rakas of Tawaf.
In Sa’I (going between Safa and Marwah)
- You can take a break after Tawaf, before Sai’.
- You can take breaks in Sa’I to drink water or rest.
- It is sunnah for men to jog only within the green lights. Women do not have to run between the green lights.
- There is no specific du’a to say between Safa and Marwa.
- Do not miss the du’a that Rasul Allah said when he stood on Safa. Then raise your hands and pray as he did, Sal Allahu alayhi wa Sallam.
- Do not say your intention out loud before making Sa’i.
When Shaving or Trimming
- If you trim, take from all sides of your head.
- Do not take off your Ihraam until you have shaved or trimmed. You are still in Ihraam until you do so.
Common Mistakes in Mina, Arafah, and Muzdalifah
- Do not reserve a place that is more than your need. Many people are looking for places to sit down and sleep.
- Only in Arafah and Muzdalifah do you shorten and combine prayers. In Mina, only shorten your prayers. Strive to pray at the correct time.
- Be mindful of you time in Hajj. Avoid unnecessary chatter.
- Do not push anyone when you are in a crowd.
- You do not have to go to the Mount of Mercy in Arafah. Many people injure themselves and others to be there even though it is not a wajib thing to do.
- Mount Rahmah is not a holy mountain. Do not wipe its sand and rocks for barakah.
- You do not have to pray Dhuhr and Asr on Arafah day in the Masjid of Arafah (Masjid Namirah). You may pray in your tent with your group.
- Do not leave Arafah before Maghrib time.
- Try to avoid getting into a crushing crowd, like in Masjid Namirah.
- Do not face Mount Rahmah on Arafah day when you make du’a. You should face the Qiblah.
- You should not treat your time in Arafah like any other day. You should realize the significance and supplicate to Allah in humility.
- Through all of this, continue doing your Talbiyah.
Common Mistakes in stoning the Jamarat
- The Jamarat are not devils, and Shaytaan is not tied up for the stoning of himself. Hajjis that hold this misconception end up cursing, swearing, throwing sandals, etc., detracting from their Hajj.
- It is a commandment from Allah to glorify Him by saying Allahu Akbar with each pebble.
- You do not have to wash your stones.
- Do not throw sandals or wood or big rocks. This is all against the sunnah.
- Do not hurt or shove anyone when at the Jamarat.
- Say Allahu Akbar with each pebble. Do not say Bismillaah.
- Throw each pebble separately.
- Make du’a after the first and second Jamarat.
- Throw the pebbles from small to medium to large.
- If someone is throwing on your behalf, you must be unable to throw yourself.
- If someone is throwing on your behalf, you do not have to collect the stones yourself and hand the stones to that thrower.
- Throw seven pebbles, not more or less.
Common Mistakes in Tawaf Al-Wadaa’ (Farewell Tawaf)
- You cannot do your final Jamarat after Tawaf Al-Wada’, as some people attempt.
- Do not walk in massive groups during Tawaf. This may injure others.
- You MUST spend the night in Mina on the 10th night and 11th night.
- The two days of Hajj are the 11th and 12th.
- After Tawaf Al-Wadaa’ you must leave Makkah, or else another Tawaf should be made.
- Visiting Medina has nothing to do with your Hajj. It is something different and separate.
- Do not wipe or kiss any walls for barakah. It is only rock and marble.
- Do not raise your voice near the Prophet’s grave.
- Do not make du’a to the Prophet. du’a is to be made to Allah and Allah alone.
- If you want to pray for the Prophet to intercede for you on the day of Judgement (Shifaa’ah), pray to Allah for that. Say “O Allah, allow Your Prophet to intercede for me.”
- Do not raise your voice in du’a near the grave. Face the Qiblah and leave the grave area when you want to make du’a.
A final note
A Muslim that makes common mistakes fall into one of three categories:
- One group is sincerely ignorant of these things and they have little clue that what they are doing is Haram or incorrect. For these people – in sha’ Allah – there is nothing upon them.
- A second group is ignorant, but they have the ability to learn and find out. All that stops them from doing so is their laziness in studying and asking. For these people, it is feared that they may be sinful for their laziness in learning.
- A third group is aware of these mistakes. They perform it regardless to either follow their culture or to misguide people. This person is sinful and they shall assume the sin of those that they misguide.
“Our Lord, do not take us to account if we forget or make a mistake” – Al-Baqarah, ayah 286
*By Muhammad ash-Shareef