Ayat About Hajj
- [2:125] We have rendered the shrine (the Ka`aba) a focal point for the people, and a safe sanctuary. You may use Abraham’s shrine as a prayer house. We commissioned Abraham and Ismail: “You shall purify My house for those who visit, those who live there, and those who bow and prostrate.”
- [2:158] The knolls of Safa and Marwah are among the rites decreed by GOD. Anyone who observes Hajj or `Umrah commits no error by traversing the distance between them. If one volunteers more righteous works, then GOD is Appreciative, Omniscient.
- [2:196] You shall observe the complete rites of Hajj and`Umrah for GOD. If you are prevented, you shall send an offering, and do not resume cutting your hair until your offering has reached its destination. If you are ill, or suffering a head injury (and you must cut your hair), you shall expiate by fasting, or giving to charity, or some other form of worship. During the normal Hajj, if you break the state of Ihraam (sanctity) between `Umrah and Hajj, you shall expiate by offering an animal sacrifice. If you cannot afford it, you shall fast three days during Hajj and seven when you return home – this completes ten – provided you do not live at the Sacred Masjid. You shall observe GOD, and know that GOD is strict in enforcing retribution…
- [2:197] Hajj shall be observed in the specified months.* Whoever sets out to observe Hajj shall refrain from sexual intercourse, misconduct, and arguments throughout Hajj. Whatever good you do, GOD is fully aware thereof. As you prepare your provisions for the journey, the best provision is righteousness. You shall observe Me, O you who possess intelligence.
- [2:198-201] You commit no error by seeking provisions from your Lord (through commerce). When you file from `Arafaat, you shall commemorate GOD at the Sacred Location (of Muzdalifah). You shall commemorate Him for guiding you; before this, you had gone astray. You shall file together, with the rest of the people who file, and ask GOD for forgiveness. GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful. Once you complete your rites, you shall continue to commemorate GOD as you commemorate your own parents, or even better. Some people would say, “Our Lord, give us of this world,” while having no share in the Hereafter. Others would say, “Our Lord, grant us righteousness in this world, and righteousness in the Hereafter, and spare us the retribution of Hell.”
- [2:203] You shall commemorate GOD for a number of days (in Mena); whoever hastens to do this in two days commits no sin, and whoever stays longer commits no sin, so long as righteousness is maintained. You shall observe GOD, and know that before Him you will be gathered.
- [3:96-97] The most important shrine established for the people is the one in Becca;* a blessed beacon for all the people. In it are clear signs: the station of Abraham. Anyone who enters it shall be granted safe passage. The people owe it to GOD that they shall observe Hajj to this shrine, when they can afford it. As for those who disbelieve, GOD does not need anyone.
- [5:1-2] O you who believe, you shall fulfill your covenants. Permitted for you to eat are the livestock, except those specifically prohibited herein. You shall not permit hunting throughout Hajj pilgrimage. GOD decrees whatever He wills. O you who believe, do not violate the rites instituted by GOD, nor the Sacred Months, nor the animals to be offered, nor the garlands marking them, nor the people who head for the Sacred Shrine (Ka`bah) seeking blessings from their Lord and approval. Once you complete the pilgrimage, you may hunt.* Do not be provoked into aggression by your hatred of people who once prevented you from going to the Sacred Masjid. You shall cooperate in matters of righteousness and piety; do not cooperate in matters that are sinful and evil. You shall observe GOD. GOD is strict in enforcing retribution.
Footnote: *5:2 Hunting and the cutting of plants are forbidden during pilgrimage for the conservation of natural resources. With thousands of pilgrims converging on Mecca, if hunting were permitted, the land would quickly be stripped of its natural resources. Animal offerings are made part of the pilgrimage to provide for the converging pilgrims, as well as the local population, and to replenish any depleted supplies. See 2:196.
- [5:95]. O you who believe, do not kill any game during pilgrimage. Anyone who kills any game on purpose, his fine shall be a number of livestock animals that is equivalent to the game animals he killed. The judgment shall be set by two equitable people among you. They shall make sure that the offerings reach the Ka`bah. Otherwise, he may expiate by feeding poor people, or by an equivalent fast to atone for his offense. GOD has pardoned past offenses. But if anyone returns to such an offense, GOD will avenge it. GOD is Almighty, Avenger.
- [5:96-97] All fish of the sea are made lawful for you to eat. During pilgrimage, this may provide for you during your journey. You shall not hunt throughout the pilgrimage. You shall reverence GOD, before whom you will be summoned. GOD has appointed the Ka`bah, the Sacred Masjid,* to be a sanctuary for the people, and also the Sacred Months, the offerings (to the Sacred Masjid), and the garlands marking them. You should know that GOD knows everything in the heavens and the earth, and that GOD is Omniscient.
Footnote: *5:97 The idol-worshiping Muslims have instituted two “Sacred Masjids” by consecrating the Prophet’s tomb. The Quran talks only about one Sacred Masjid.
- [22:26-27] We appointed Abraham to establish the Shrine: “You shall not idolize any other god beside Me, and purify My shrine for those who visit it, those who live near it, and those who bow and prostrate. “And proclaim that the people shall observe Hajj pilgrimage.* They will come to you walking or riding on various exhausted (means of transportation). They will come from the farthest locations.”
- [22:28-30] They may seek commercial benefits, and they shall commemorate GOD’s name during the specified days for providing them with livestock. “Eat therefrom and feed the despondent and the poor.” They shall complete their obligations, fulfill their vows, and visit the ancient shrine. Those who reverence the rites decreed by GOD have deserved a good reward at their Lord. All livestock is made lawful for your food, except for those specifically prohibited for you. You shall avoid the abomination of idol worship, and avoid bearing false witness.
- [22:33] The (livestock) provide you with many benefits for a period, before being donated to the ancient shrine.
- [22:36] The animal offerings are among the rites decreed by GOD for your own good.* You shall mention GOD’s name on them while they are standing in line. Once they are offered for sacrifice, you shall eat therefrom and feed the poor and the needy. This is why we subdued them for you, that you may show your appreciation.
- [22:37] Neither their meat, nor their blood reaches GOD. What reaches Him is your righteousness. He has subdued them for you, that you may show your appreciation by glorifying GOD for guiding you. Give good news to the charitable.
Ahadith About Hajj
The Prophet (S) said:
- “O people! Perform Hajj for Allah has made it obligatory on you”. Hearing this, a man said, “is it every year O Messenger of Allah?” The Prophet (S) kept silent until the man repeated the question thrice and then said, “if I say yes it will become compulsory and you won’t be able to do it”. [Muslim and Ahmad].
Ibn ‘Abbas (r) said,
- “Allah’s Messenger (S) addressed us saying, “O people! Allah has prescribed Hajj on you”. Al-Aqra’a ibn Haabis then stood up and said, “is it for every year O Messenger of Allah?” The Prophet (S) replied, “if I say yes it would become obligatory and if it’s obligatory to perform Hajj annually you certainly won’t be able to do it. Hajj should be performed only once in one’s lifetime and whoever does more, it will be considered supererogatory.” [Related by An-Nassa’i, Abu Dawud, Ibn Maajah and Ahmad].
- “Islam was built on five pillars: The Shahaadah – declaration – that there is no one worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, performing prayer, giving Zakaat, performing Hajj, and fasting Ramadan.” [Agreed upon]
Supplications which may Be Recited At ‘Arafat, at the Sacred Sites, and at Other Places of Supplication
- Oh Allah! I ask of You integrity and soundness in my religion, my life, my family, and my possessions, O Allah! Cover my shame, pacify my fears, guard me from what is in front of me and behind me, from what is on my right and on my left, over my head and under my feet. O Allah! Grant health to my body. O Allah grant health to my hearing. O Allah! Grant health to my sight. There is no deity except You. O Allah! I seek refuge in You from unbelief and poverty, and from the punishment of the grave. There is no deity except You.
- Oh Allah! You are my Lord. There is no deity except You. You are my Creator and I am your creature. I try to keep my covenant with You and to live in the hope of Your promise as well as I can. I seek refuge in You from my own evil deeds. I acknowledge Your favors to me; and I acknowledge my sins. Forgive me my sins, for there is no one who can forgive sins except You. O Allah! I seek refuge in You from worry and sorrow. I seek refuge in You from impotence and sloth, from stinginess and cowardice, and I seek refuge in You from the burden of debt and from being humbled by men.
- Oh Allah! Make the beginning of this day good, the middle prosperous, and the end successful. I ask You to grant me the good of this world and of the Hereafter, O Most Merciful of all Who show us mercy.
- Oh Allah! I ask of You to make me pleased with what You decreed for me return to good life after death, and I earnestly seek the pleasure of looking at Your Glorious Countenance and the craving to meet you, without distress or affliction or misguiding trial. I seek refuge in You from oppressing others or being oppressed, from doing wrong or suffering wrong, and from committing an error or a sin which You will not forgive.
- Oh Allah! I seek refuge in You from the feebleness of old age.
- Oh Allah! Guide me to the best of deeds and the best of morals, as none can guide to the best except You, and save me from bad deeds, as none can save me from what is bad except You.
- Oh Allah! Strengthen my faith, expand my living space, and bless me in my livelihood.
- Oh Allah! I seek refuge in You from negligence, degradation and destitution; I seek refuge in You from unbelief, wickedness, vanity and show; and I seek refuge in You from blindness, deafness and leprosy and bad diseases. O Allah! Give my soul piety and my conscience purity. You are the Master of my soul and the Guardian of my conscience. O Allah! I seek refuge in You from a knowledge which does not benefit, from a heart which does not tremble, from an ego which is not sated, and from a supplication which is not accepted.
- Oh Allah! I seek refuge in You from the evil of what I did and from the evil of what I did not do; from the evil of what I know and from the evil of what I did not know O Allah! I seek refuge in You from a decline in Your favor, from a change in Your protection, from Your sudden punishment and all Your displeasure.
- Oh Allah! I seek refuge in You from ruin and falling, from drowning and burning, and from senility: I seek refuge in You from Satan’s beguiling me at my death; and I seek refuge in You from being bitten by venomous creatures. I seek refuge in You from greed, bad manners, bad actions, bad desires and bad diseases. I seek refuge in You from the burden of debt, from being humbled by people, and from the ridicule of enemies.
- Oh Allah! Strengthen my religion which is my fortress, make this world a better place of sojourn for me, and grant me a good life in the Hereafter which will be my abode. Make my life Increase in all goodness and my death a rest from all evil.
- Oh Allah! Support me and help me, and do not let others overpower me; guide me and make the following of Your Commands easy for me.
- Oh Allah! make me grateful to You, mindful of You, full of fear toward You, devoted to obedience of You, humble before You, earnest in supplication, and penitent. My Lord, accept my repentance, wash away my sins, answer my supplication, establish my veracity, guide my heart, make my tongue truthful, and remove all ill feeling from my heart.
- Oh Allah! I ask You for a resolute mind and firmness in following the guidance. I ask You to make me thankful for Your favor, to be of good service to You, and to grant me a sound heart and a truthful tongue. I ask You to grant me what You know to be good and to give me refuge from what is evil, and to forgive me – and You are the Knower of the Unseen.
- Oh Allah! Inspire me with good conduct and save me from the evil of my selfishness. O Allah! I ask You to guide me to the doing of good deeds and abstaining from bad deeds and love those who are humble, and to forgive me and show mercy to me. And if You wish a trial for Your servants, take me to You before falling into it.
- Oh Allah! I ask You for Your love and the love of those who love You, and for the love of every action which will bring me closer to Your love.
- Oh Allah! I ask You the best of the request for the best in my supplication, for the best success and the best reward, strengthen me, make heavier my balance of good, confirm my faith, elevate my rank, accept my worship, and forgive my mistakes, and I ask of You the highest ranks in the Garden of Paradise. I ask You for good beginnings, good endings, the totality of goodness, from the first to the last, from within and from without, and I ask of You the highest ranks in the Garden.
- Oh Allah! I ask You to exalt my fame, lighten my burden, purify my heart, keep me chaste, forgive me my sins, and I ask of You a high rank in the Garden. O Allah Bless me in my sight, in my hearing, in my soul, in my body, in my conduct; bless me in my life, in my family, in my work; accept my good deeds, and I ask of You a high rank in the Garden.
- Oh Allah! I seek refuge in You against difficulties, calamities, troubles, oppression and the ridicule of enemies.
- Oh Allah! O Controller of the Hearts!; Keep my heart firm in Your religion; keep it contented with Your worship.
- Oh Allah! Grant us increase and not decrease, honor and not dishonor; give us Your favors and do not deprive us; prefer us, let not others be preferred to us.
- Oh Allah! Grant us the best of outcomes in all our affairs, and save us from disgrace in this world and from punishment In the Hereafter.
- Oh Allah! Grant us such fear of You as will come between us and acts of disobedience to You; such obedience to You as will bring us to Your Garden; and such certainty that the calamities of this world will be made easy for us by You. Let us enjoy our hearing, our sight and our faculties as long as You grant us life, and let it be the last to be taken away from us. Avenge us from those who have wronged us and help us against our enemies. Let no calamity befall our religion; let not worldly affairs be our greatest care or all about which we know; and Let not those who have no fear of You and who do not show mercy toward us rule over us.
- Oh Allah! I ask You to bestow Your mercy on me, to forgive me, to protect me from every sin, to give me a share of every good, and to grant me the attainment of the Garden and salvation from the Fire.
- Oh Allah! Leave not for us a sin which You have not forgiven, nor a shortcoming which You have not concealed, nor a wary which You have not removed, nor a debt which You have not paid, nor a need from among the needs of this world or the Hereafter, the fulfillment of which is beneficial for us and pleasing to You, which You have not fulfilled, O Most Merciful of all show us mercy!
- Oh Allah! I ask for a mercy from You by which You will guide my heart, settle my affairs, remove my worries, protect me from what is unseen to me, make my face radiant, purify my deeds, inspire me with wisdom, avert calamities from me, and protect me from every evil.
- Oh Allah! I ask You for success on the day of judgment, and a life of happiness, and the rank of the martyrs, the companionship of the prophets, and victory over the enemies. O Allah! I ask You for correctness of belief; for a faith which leads to good conduct; for a success which results in eternal felicity: for mercy, health and forgiveness from You, and for Your pleasure.
- Oh Allah! I ask You for health, for integrity, for good character, and that I may be pleased with my portion.
- Oh Allah! I seek refuge in You from the evil of my self, and from the evil of every creature which You are grasping by its forelock. O my Lord, keep me on the straight path.
- Oh Allah! You hear my words, You behold my situation. You know what is open and what is hidden within me; nothing is hidden from You. It is me alone who is in need, a humble seeker of Your forgiveness. I beseech You with humility in my heart, with trembling and fear, in prostration and utter helplessness.
- Oh Allah! Grant me soundness of belief, goodness of character, forgiveness of my sins, and Your eternal pleasure in the Hereafter. May Allah’s blessings be upon Muhammad and his family and Companions.